I’m so excited to share our mini-nursery plans with you today. Rye has been hard at work getting everything ready in there. Sealing the brick, trimming the doors and base boards, making a secret lil’ attic and a really cool bunk that we know someone will truly love one day! We will probably paint + wallpaper (with a little help from mom) within the next week or so! Then I can bring in all this really fun stuff I’ve been collecting…
So, some of you already may know this, but for those of you that don’t, we are having a B-O-Y! Aside from the happy tears and jumps/shout outs for joy (Rye) the day our ultra-sound tech told us the news, one of the things I remember him saying to us was, “You’re going to be painting your new nursery BLUE! ” The first thing I thought, was yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa right buddy
Not that there is anything wrong with blue. I personally just can’t contribute to the automatic asscociation it has with a baby boy. Especially in the nursery. There is so much goodness out there for our lil’ man to be inspired + surrounded by I could never start and stop with baby-boy-blue.
That being said, I have had a million-trillion ideas running through my brain and I have been collecting things from all over the interwebs and thrift stores to get it going. All the while trying to make some sort of sense out of these fun mini things. So, I will start with the items that I have either purchased or aquired over time. Maybe you can try and guess before I post the concept board.
These will all be making an appearance in the nursery some how, some way…
- MINI DRAFTING CHAIR / I found at a great local Cape May thrift store for $12!
- VINTAGE PLAID FABRIC / From my boy Harold on Fabric Row. He hooked it up at $11/Yard. This if for my amazing grammy to make into crib “bumpers”. Ya know, so the baby isn’t bumping his precious noggin’ on the metal crib.
- NEEDLEPOINT HORSE / A great vintage Etsy find 5Gardenias.
- ROPE ALPHABET / A fun print I saw on FAB one day.
- ACCORDIAN RACK / Vintage find while visiting Ryan’s sister, Christine & Fam, out in Carlisle, PA. Can’t wait to hang cute little hooded bath towels and tiny hats from this one day.
- VINTAGE LANDSCAPE / A painting I bought a long time ago, that has literally been sitting around just waiting to be used. My original pre-baby plans were to stencil / print something over top of this. I’m going to stick with that plan. Ever since I discovered artist Wayne White, I’ve been dying to pick a few words and try my own version. I’m thinking either “LETS GET LOST” or “LIKE A DREAM”. What do you think?
- VINTAGE CAMP FLAGS / Vintage Cabin Flags from an overnight camp! Another Etsy score from NellieFellow shop.
- BRASS BOOKENDS / Vintage find at a local Cape May thrift shop one summer weekend. We hope to acquire tons of books to read to McMini and these are some great anchors.
- PENDLETON PILLOW / A gift from my boss and dear friend Mr. Sheffield a year or 2 ago. I hope he won’t mind I’m moving into the nursery for a while. It’s just too good to leave out.
- GRANDPARENTS DRESSER / A beautiful antique my grandparents have had at the Cape May house ever since I can remember. They think it’s from Gracie, who was very dear to them. I love heirlooms like this and am so lucky to get this. Aside from the obvious use as a dresser, I will use this as his changing table too.
- ARROW WALLPAPER / A title that is more literal than you think. A perk to my job sometimes is you can keep leftovers. Some of you may recognize this wallpaper from an “old” stomping ground, Arrow Swim Club.
Well, there you have it. A few of the collections I plan to use/ re-use in the mini fort.
Now you may be curious as to how this will all be crammed into one space. Ha, us too! To start, I found this image “Like a Dream” and it really helped me get on board with a concept. While this room is most definitely for our little guy to be nurtured and loved in, it was important goal for me to provide a strong foundation to the room, but create something our new family can all grow into together.
Maybe it’s all the campy hoo-ha surrounding the recent release of Wes Andersons, Moonrise Kingdom or the Native American and Utilitarian design trends that have been circling around for the past 2 years, but this image summed it all up for me. There is something magical about the outdoors and what it has to offer us…a short trip outside our comfort zone that could lead to amazing discoveries beyond our imaginations. I just want to jump inside this image and explore what it has to offer. This is an idea I could get behind and more importantly, these are ideas I want our lil’ guy to be surrounded by day in and day out. Imagination + Discovery, mixed with a little bit of the familiar cabin comforts to remind him where home is. I hope this will provide daily inspiration for our wee pioneers mind. All he needs to know is that he can go anywhere…and it starts in his fort!
- 1 / VINTAGE FLAGS to be strung on rope or tied to custom painted branches. (see links for flags above)
- 2 / VINTAGE LANDSCAPE with new Wayne White inspired saying, will reside over his crib.
- 3 / NEEDLEPOINT HORSIE will be added to a curated wall of artwork + prints.
- 4 / I LOVE MY FAMILY print. Can’t get enough of this graphic + sentiment. I added this to my registry here.
- 5 / I JUST WANT TO GO SOMEWHERE WITH YOU: One day WE will travel together and I cannot wait. I added to this to my registry here.
- 6 / ROPE TIE BACK: We have a back door in the room that I may cover up with something likes this, or if we choose to use the “bunk” as storage space I will create a curtain up above with rope ties!
- 7 / VINTAGE ROCKER: I found this image on ModernHaus’ instagram feed awhile ago. I adore it. Rye’s parents offered us their old wooden rocker and I’m thinking I can make a cushion like this one with re-purposed camp blankets.
- 8 / BOOKENDS: Take Aim. These will be used on the dresser or more likely the book shelves we plan to make out of salvaged wood leftovers.
- 9 / ANTIQUE DRESSER. Will be used as a changing table, storage and an anchor to the wallpaper accent wall.
- 10 / BUG NITE LIGHT: Love this camp- inspired night light. Reminds me of collecting lightning bugs in jars when I was little.
- 11 / VINTAGE MOC’s: I scored these on Etsy. They are so stinkin’ tiny and cute they make me smile from ear to ear. He’ll need these for all his hippie hikes.
- 12 / 1970′s VINTAGE TONKA WINNIE: I scored this on Ebay. I mean what else is there to say…it’s super RAD and he will need it for his adventures.
- 13 / AREA RUG: Another item I’ve had for a while will be centered in the room. Love the colors.
- 14 / CRIB: Black iron crib with pickets and a classic silhouette. Fell in love with its simplicity after looking at the vast array of crazy cribs out there today. A big wish item on my registry.
- 15 / PENDLETON PILLOW: This will actually end up on the guest bed. There is another portion of this room I’ve decided not to include in the post, but our old full bed will be in the room too. I have a feeling Grandmom’s, Grandad’s, Aunt’s & Uncle’s will be staying over in the fort quite a bit. (He’ll come camp with us on those nights, don’t worry guests)
- 16 / HOMEMADE MOBILE: Found this image and it was love at first sight. I want to make him a little something like this over his crib. Maybe feathers, maybe ropes + knots…who knows just yet. Have to leave our fort and start my own exploration for just the right things to include…
Well, there it is. The Mini Fort in all its conceptual glory. Hope you enjoyed your short trip away from home. Until next time my friends! We have a serious fort to build…
If you miss us in the mean time, you can always stay in touch on INSTAGRAM (@baybeewipe) (@mcwiggle) or PINTEREST.
If you’d like to check out other items on my registries you can do so here and here.